- 르호보암 王(왕)이 그 父親(부친) 솔로몬의 生前(생전)에 그 앞에 모셨던 老人(로인)들과 議論(의논)하여 가로되 너희는 어떻게 敎導(교도)하여 이 百姓(백성)에게 對答(대답)하게 하겠느뇨
- 對答(대답)하여 가로되 ㅓ王(왕)이 萬一(만일) 이 百姓(백성)을 厚待(후대)하여 기쁘게 하고 善(선)한 말을 하시면 저희가 永永(영영)히 王(왕)의 종이 되리이다 하나
- 王(왕)이 老人(로인)의 敎導(교도)하는 것을 버리고 그 앞에 모셔 있는 自己(자기)와 함께 자라난 少年(소년)들과 議論(의논)하여
- 가로되 너희는 어떻게 敎導(교도)하여 이 百姓(백성)에게 對答(대답)하게 하겠느뇨 百姓(백성)이 내게 말하기를 王(왕)의 父親(부친)이 우리에게 메운 멍에를 가볍게하라 하였느니라
- 함께 자라난 少年(소년)들이 王(왕)께 告(고)하여 가로되 이 百姓(백성)들이 王(왕)께 告(고)하기를 王(왕)의 父親(부친)이 우리의 멍에를 무겁게 하였으나 王(왕)은 우리를 爲(위)하여 가볍게 하라 하였은즉 王(왕)은 對答(대답)하시기를 나의 새끼 손가락이 내 父親(부친)의 허리보다 굵으니
- And king Rehoboam took counsel with the old men that had stood before Solomon his father while he yet lived, saying, What counsel give ye me to return answer to this people?
- And they spake unto him, saying, If thou be kind to this people, and please them, and speak good words to them, they will be thy servants for ever.
- But he forsook the counsel which the old men gave him, and took counsel with the young men that were brought up with him, that stood before him.
- And he said unto them, What advice give ye that we may return answer to this people, which have spoken to me, saying, Ease somewhat the yoke that thy father did put upon us?
- And the young men that were brought up with him spake unto him, saying, Thus shalt thou answer the people that spake unto thee, saying, Thy father made our yoke heavy, but make thou it somewhat lighter for us; thus shalt thou say unto them, My little finger shall be thicker than my father's loins.
- Then King Rehoboam consulted the elders who had served his father Solomon during his lifetime. "How would you advise me to answer these people?" he asked.
- They replied, "If you will be kind to these people and please them and give them a favorable answer, they will always be your servants."
- But Rehoboam rejected the advice the elders gave him and consulted the young men who had grown up with him and were serving him.
- He asked them, "What is your advice? How should we answer these people who say to me, 'Lighten the yoke your father put on us'?"
- The young men who had grown up with him replied, "Tell the people who have said to you, 'Your father put a heavy yoke on us, but make our yoke lighter'--tell them, 'My little finger is thicker than my father's waist.